Cabinet Portraits by Otto Brown of Worthing

 Click here to return to Home Page

Cabinet Portraits by Otto Brown of Worthing

[ABOVE] A cabinet portrait by Otto Brown of 2 Chapel Road, Worthing. The portrait of this young girl has been copied from an earlier school group photograph, probably taken by another photographer. [ABOVE] Portrait of a girl with a picture book, a cabinet photograph by Otto Brown of 2 Chapel Road, Worthing ( c1907). [ABOVE] Portrait of a young child sitting on a chaise longue, a cabinet photograph by Otto Brown of 2 Chapel Road, Worthing ( c1907).
 

 Otto Brown's Photographic Studio at No. 2 Chapel Road, Worthing

[ABOVE] Chapel Road, Worthing, photographed around 1905.A banner with the words "OTTO BROWN - THE ART PHOTOGRAPHER", indicating the position of Brown's photographic studio at No. 2 Chapel Road, can be seen at the top right of the photograph. On the left are the shops belonging to William James Kettle, baker & confectioner (No.7) and Edith Atkin, gents' outfitter and hatter (No.9a). Further along the western side of Chapel Road, marked by the banner flapping in the wind, was No. 19 Chapel Road, the site of the photographic studio belonging to Mrs Eliza Bristow. Mrs Eliza Bristow operated the studio of her late husband Walter Charles Bristow at No. 19 from 1896 until about 1918.  Mrs Bristow traded under the name of "W. C. Bristow". [ABOVE] A photograph of Chapel Road, Worthing, taken around 1907 and published as a picture postcard by L. Levy. Otto Brown's shop and photographic studio at 2 Chapel Road, Worthing, can be seen at the extreme right of the picture shaded by a large, white canvas awning. The building with the conical roof at centre-right is The General Post Office, situated at the junction with Market Street. Opposite the Post Office on the right -hand side  is No. 12 Chapel Road. From left to right is The Waverley Temperance Hotel at No. 10 (Proprietors E. & J. Vine), with its banner offering "Dinners and Teas", Ockelford & Son at No.8, Watts Brothers' boot & shoe store at No. 6 and William Davey, florist, at No. 4 Chapel Road (see the close-up view of this parade of shops below).
[ABOVE] An Edwardian map of Worthing showing the sites of Otto Brown's photographic studios between 1905 and 1925. Otto Brown established a photographic studio at No. 2 Chapel Road, Worthing, at the junction with Ann Street, before the end of 1905 and he worked as a photographer at this address until his death in 1938.  Around 1911, Otto Brown set up a photographic studio in the arcade of The Kursaal, an entertainment centre on Marine Parade between Bedford Row and Library Place. In the early 1920s, Brown worked as a seafront photographer from a wooden studio on the eastern side of Worthing Pier. [ABOVE] A photograph of Chapel Road, Worthing, taken around 1907. This view provides a closer view of the shops in the parade between Ann Street and Market Street, spanning numbers 4 to 12 Chapel Road. At No. 4 Chapel Road is the florist's shop of William Davey. Otto Brown's studio premises at No. 2 Chapel Road were located to the right of Davey's shop.

 Click here to return to Home Page