Click here to return to Home Page
Professional Photographers in Worthing
Edward Charles Cortis (1837-1899) Later known as Edward Charles Cortis STANFORD
|Edward Charles Cortis was born in
1837, the son of Charlotte Cortenay and Charles Cortis, a dispensing and pharmaceutical
chemist of 12 South Street, Worthing. Charles Cortis (1803-1880) was born in
Ferring, Sussex and established a chemist shop in Worthing in 1827. Charles Cortis married
Charlotte Cortenay (1814-1906)
at Broadwater-by-Worthing on 9th February 1836. Edward Charles Cortis,
the couple's first child, was born in Worthing the following year.
Edward was christened 'Edward Charles Cortis' on 26th
March 1837. [ In a brief biography of Edward Charles Cortis
Stanford published in the Journal
of the Chemical Society in 1900, states that Edward was born on
23rd February 1836, but it is more likely that his date of birth was
23rd February 1837].
Edward Cortis was educated at All Saints College in Maidstone, Kent and Crawford College, a high-class boarding school in Maidenhead, Berkshire. Edward showed great academic promise, particulary in science and chemistry. Edward served his apprenticeship under his father, Charles Cortis, at Cortis's chemist shop in South Street, Worthing.
Edward Cortis's interest in science and chemistry led him to take up photography as a young man. As early as May 1855, Edward C.Cortis was advertising his services as a photographer, offering to take images of "Portraits, Landscapes, Public Buildings, Gentlemen's Villas, Favourite Pictures and Prints, Statuary, Models, &c.". Readers of the advert were invited to visit his father's chemist shop, "where specimens of the Photographic Art may be seen in every variety." Edward Cortis is known to have taken a number of photographs of important buildings in Worthing between 1855 and 1860.
After his serving his apprenticeship as a chemist and pharmacist with his father, Edward Cortis went to study at the School of Pharmacy in London. Edward worked under Theophilus Redwood (1806-1892), Professor of Chemistry and Pharmacy at the School of Pharmacy. In 1858, Edward Charles Cortis, changed his name by deed poll to Edward Charles Cortis Stanford. At the instigation of their father, Charles Cortis, Edward Cortis and his younger brothers Osmond Cecil Cortis (born 1838, Worthing) and Walter Halsted Cortis (born 1841, Worthing) had their surname legally changed from Cortis to Stanford. Their surnames were changed to Stanford to meet the requirements of the last will and testament of Edward Stanford (c1768-1858), a former tailor, woollen draper and hatter of Warwick Street, Worthing.
In 1859, Edward Cortis, under the name of Edward Charles Cortis Stanford, published a paper entitled "Analysis of Well Water at the Worthing Water Works". Edward Cortis Stanford's paper was reprinted in French & Son's Handbook for Worthing in 1859. The editor warmly welcomed the Cortis' findings in his introductory comments : " All interested in the prosperity of the town of Worthing are greatly indebted to our talented young townsman, Mr Edward C. C. Stanford, son of Mr Charles Cortis, Chemist of South Street, for the following careful and satisfactory analysis." In 1859, Edward Cortis Stanford was made a Fellow of the Chemical Society of London (F.C.S.).
In 1860, Edward C. Cortis Stanford became a Member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain & Ireland and between 1860 and 1862 he gave lectures in Chemistry and Physics at local institutions and colleges. At the time of the 1861 Census, Edward was living with his parents, brother and two sisters at 12 South Street, Worthing. Charles Cortis, the head of the household, is described as a "Chemist & Druggist", aged 57. Twenty-four year old Edward, Charles Cortis's eldest son, gives his name as "Edward C. Stanford" and enters his profession as "Professor of Chemistry".
In 1862, Edward Cortis Stanford left Worthing to take up the position of Assistant Demonstrator at the School of Pharmacy in London. The following year he was working as a "Consultant" to the Kelp Industry and in 1864 he travelled to Scotland as Manager of the British Seaweed Co. Ltd.
In 1864, as the leading member of Stanford & Co., a firm of manufacturing chemists, Edward Cortis Stanford built the Stanford chemical works on the banks of the Forth & Clyde Canal in Dalmuir. The Stanford chemical works was engaged in extracting iodine and potash from seaweed and was the first factory to be established at Clydebank.
On 22nd July 1868, Edward Charles Cortis Stanford married Jemima Margaret Simpson Gibb (born 1848, Glasgow, Lanark), a grand-daughter of the twelfth Laird of Penkill. Edward Cortis Stanford fathered eleven children between 1869 and 1889, but not all reached adulthood.* At the time of the 1881 census, Edward Cortis Stanford was residing at Glenwood, Old Kilpatrick in Dunbarton, Scotland with his wife, five children and four live-in servants. Edward Cortis Stanford is described in the census as a "Chemical Manufacturer", aged 44.
* Details of the children of Edward Charles Cortis Stanford can be found in the family history "The Boyds of Penkill and Trochrig" (1909) - [ref: page 34] at this website:
|OTHER SOURCES: Census Returns :1861 & 1881 ; The Open University : Biographical Database of the British Chemical Community,1880-1970; The Worthing Monthly Record (1st May, 1855); Clydebank Central Library; Worthing : A Pictorial History by D. Robert Elleray (Phillimore,1977); French & Son's Handbook for Worthing (1859) ; International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.) at FamilySearch; Various Sussex Trade Directories, 1839-1866.|
Click here to return to Home Page